Motorcycle Rallies and Events
2004 Lone Star Rally in Galveston
As Yogi Berra might say, 90 percent of motorcycle riding is half social. Most bikers and motorcycle riders (there is a difference) like to get together. Some like to party while others stay sober and talk about motorcycles and roads to ride.
Huge national rallies attract hundreds of thousands of participants. Local clubs may have an event that will barely fill up one booth at a Denny's.
Whether large or small, a good time will be had by all. Here are some of the biggest. They are listed roughly in chronological order and dates are approximate. Check the web sites.
- St. Valentine's Day Massacre - Boerne, TX, mid February
- Kendall County Fairgrounds, Boerne, Texas, near San Antonio. Registration fee includes camping, hot showers. Hosted by Alamo City Gypsy M/C.
- Bike Week - Daytona Beach, FL, first week in March
- The Daytona Beach Chamber of Commerce hosts the largest motorcycle event in the world with hundreds of thousands of motorcyclists the first week in March. No charge for admission. The Mecca of motorcyclists, young and old. Ride with Mad Mac to Bike Week 2001.
- Cycle Expo - Richmond, Virginia, mid March
- Host Excalibur Productions claims this is "the Mid-Atlantic's hottest bike show with balls to the wall motorcycle mayhem, featuring The Agony & Ecstasy Tattoo Convention and the most outrageous entertainment anywhere!"
- River City Bike Fest - San Antonio, Texas, first of April
- Nikita Productions claims to host "the most amazing Motorcycle Rally that has ever been seen on the face of the Earth... well in the South West anyway. For three entire days, the Alamo Dome will be Ground Zero for the fastest growing rally in the south west."
- Arizona Bike Week - Scottsdale, Arizona, first week in April
- "Ten days of motorcycle entertainment and experiences for all motorcycle enthusiasts. Charity rides, bike races, concerts, demo rides, parties, vendor expo, and various activities for all to enjoy."
- Heritage Motorcycle Rally - Charleston, SC, second week in April
- "Wildest bike show in the south. Bike build-off competition, swap-meet, drag race."
- Laughlin River Run - Laughlin, Nevada, third week in April
- Dal-Con Promotions "invites you to the banks of the Colorado River. Be part of the West Coast's largest motorcycle event featuring non-stop casino action, top name entertainment, factory demo rides, parts and accessory exhibits and much more."
- Leesburg Bikefest - Leesburg, Florida, late April
- "Ms. Bikefest contest (always a favorite) over 200 Vendors, Rat's Hole Custom Bikeshow, Drill team Demonstrations, Biker games, Bands on all three stages all day and night long, Blessing of the Bikes, Strongman Contest."
- Thunder Beach - Panama City Beach, FL, May
- The first weekend in May and the last weekend in September, "Thunder Beach Productions is committed to providing a destination for all motorcycle enthusiasts with planned activities at minimal cost offering dynamic event driven marketing opportunities." (I can't make this stuff up.)
- Myrtle Beach Bike Week - Myrtle Beach, FL, May
- Sonny Productions and Chopper Road Shows "welcome everyone and all types of motorcycles to their annual Spring and Fall events. Great looking stock and custom bikes, vendors, entertainment throughout the Grand Strand, bars and night clubs offering a variety of contests including burnout contests plus much more." If there was a Big 4, this one would be jockeying for position with Americade.
- Branson Motorcycle Rally - Branson, MO, late May
- "The Ozark Mountain Region is still pretty much undiscovered riding for the motorcycle enthusiast. Branson is nestled in the Ozark Mountains, so you can enjoy the city life and some of the most beautiful country roads in America. This rally is geared more toward families."
- AspenCash Rally - Ruidoso, NM, May
- The Golden Aspen Motorcycle Rally Association hosts two separate Rallies held in the wondrous mountains of Ruidoso, New Mexico. This is the Spring event. "Ride high in the sky and take an unforgettable journey through the Southern Rocky Mountains."
- Am-Jam - Cobleskill, NY, end of May
- "American Motorcycle Jamboree at Cobleskill fairgrounds is a three-day non-stop "City of Cycles" for ALL makes and models. This is an old fashioned sleep-under-the-stars, camp out (included in the admission price) bike rally on the 100 year old Sunshine Fairgrounds in the scenic Schoharie Valley Region of New York. AM-JAM features a motorcycle rodeo, swap meet, custom and antique bike show along with 6 Rock and Roll bands on the main stage with grandstand seating... Where will you be Memorial Day weekend."
- ROT Biker Rally - Austin, TX, early June
- Originally a Harley Owners Group event, the Republic of Texas Rally is now open to all bikes. The registration fee includes camping. Here are some details of the 2004 ROT.
- Rolling Thunder, Inc. - numerous chapters and dates
- "Rolling Thunder, Inc.'s major function is to publicize the POW-MIA issue. Committed to helping American veterans from all wars!"
- Americade - Lake George, NY, June
- "The World's Largest Touring Rally. Located in the Adirondack mountains, enjoy winding roads, cruising on elegant sightseeing boats, riding new demo bikes, eating great meals, or meeting other tourers from around the continent." Competes with Myrtle Beach for being in the Big 4.
- Hogrock River Rally - Cave In Rock, IL, June
- Bawdy biker rally.
- Laconia Motorcycle Week - Laconia, PA, June
- The Laconia bike rally is the largest of all New England motorcycle rallies and is one of the Big 3. Started in 1916, it is the oldest motorcycle rally in the US.
- The Honda Hoot - Knoxville, KY, June
- If you have a good self-image, you do not have to own a Honda to attend. Cycle World Rolling Concours of pre-1986 motorcycles has been a featured event. The rolling, blue-grass hills of Kentucky await you.
- Thunder in the Valley - Jonhnstown, PA, June
- Not to be confused with Rolling Thunder, the biker's alternative to the Hoot, when you do not want to meet the nicest people on a Honda.
- Hollister Independence Rally - Hollister, CA, 4th of July
- Yes, this is the town made eternally famous by Marlon Brando in The Wild One, self-billed as "the birthplace of the American Biker." Last held in 2005, the 2006 Rally was cancelled and their original web site shut down. There are no plans as of yet for 2007.
- Wing Ding
- Sponsored by the Gold Wing Road Riders Association, this is the world's largest Gold Wing convention and lasts for days. Locations rotate.
- Honda HomeComing - Marysville, OH, July
- Since 1980, all Gold Wings have been manufactured here, in America by Americans.
- Little Sturgis Rally - Sturgis, Kentucky, July
- An alternative if you do not want to ride all the way to Sturgis, South Dakota in August.
- Sturgis Motorcycle Rally - Sturgis, South Dakota, August
- Originally known as the Black Hills Classic, the week long event starts the first monday after the first full weekend in August drawing half a million visitors and rivaling Daytona's Bike Week in size. Scenic rides include Mount Rushmore, Crazy Horse Memorial and Devil's Tower. Every red-blooded American motorcyclist should try to visit the region at least once.
- Sturgis South Motorcycle Rally - Sturgis, Mississippi, August
- Another Little Sturgis Rally, this time in Mississippi.
- Cripple Creek Rally - Cripple Creek, CO, August
- "A salute to veterans who have fought for, suffered for, or have been killed while fighting for our country and freedoms. A four-day event with military marching bands, aircraft flyovers, tattoo competition, beer garden with live bands, great food and a huge vendor show all set in an old west gambling town."
- Rally in the Rockies - Durango, CO, September
- Successor to the Four Corners Iron Horse Motorcycle Rally. Ride the Silverton, Ouray, Telluride, Durango loop, truly outstanding.
- Las Vegas BikeFest - Las Vegas, NV, September
- "The Fremont Street Experience, free entertainment, casinos, restaurants, clubs and cruising on the strip."
- Thunder Beach - Panama City Beach, FL, Sep
- " ...a destination for all motorcycle enthusiasts with planned activities at minimal cost offering dynamic event driven marketing opportunities."
- Trail of Tears - Chattanooga, TN, 3rd Saturday in September
- Commemorative Motorcycle Ride that begins in Chattanooga, TN and ends in Waterloo, AL. No fees.
- Lone Star Rally - Galveston, TX
- A young but rapidly growing rally with no admission fee. Enjoy the gulf coast, good food, free entertainment, shopping on the Strand and body painting. I had a great time at the 2004 Rally.
- Golden Aspen Rally - Ruidoso, NM, September
- The Golden Aspen Motorcycle Rally Association hosts two separate Rallies held in the wondrous mountains of Ruidoso, New Mexico. This is the Fall event when the mountainsides turn gold, a sight you do not want to miss.
- Myrtle Beach Bike Week - Myrtle Beach, FL, Sep
- "Sonny Productions and Chopper Road Shows welcome everyone and all types of motorcycles to their annual Spring and Fall events. Great looking stock and custom bikes, vendors, entertainment throughout the Grand Strand, bars and night clubs offering a variety of contests including burnout contests plus much more."
- Street Vibrations - Reno, Nevada, September
- "A celebration of music, metal and motorcycles, Street Vibrations offers tours, entertainment, parades, ride-in shows, Chrome Alley retail vendors, the Harley-Davidson Factory Store, concerts and more. Open to all motorcycles."
- Bikes Blues and BBQ - Fayetteville, AR, September
- The name says it all, almost. Jim Beam is the primary sponsor.
- HogRocktoberfest - Cave In Rock, IL, October
- Another one of those biker rallies that turns women into willing sex objects.
- Biketoberfest - Daytona Beach, Florida, October
- Not as crowded as Bikeweek and great fun.
- Love Ride - Glendale, CA, November
- Self-billed as "The largest one day motorcycle event in the world... in support of improving the quality of life for those less fortunate." This is the one in which you see Peter Fonda and other Hollywood celebrities riding.
- Additional Motorcycle Rallies and Events - motorcycleevents.com
- The last word on the web about motorcycle events and rallies. Check out their extensive calendar of hundreds of events searchable by keyword or location.
Special information for BMW F650GS and
Yamaha V-Max motorcycle enthusiasts.